The Tweed Heads & Coolangatta Life Saving Club is officially recognised as the oldest surf lifesaving club in Queensland – Established 1911
The development of surf lifesaving at Coolangatta began with the State’s first recorded rescue in 1909 by a group of local, aspiring surf life savers. Modelled on a group of New South Wales surf life savers from Bondi, they were equipped with a recently purchased demonstration reel, line and belt. The report in a February 1909 edition of The Queenslander tells of the gravity of the situation; “…four ladies ventured out beyond their depth. (A) young man endeavoured to effect a rescue, but was carried out. Fortunately there were others in the vicinity who finally succeeded in getting the whole party of five safely to shore, but the young man and one of the ladies had almost expired…” Tweed Heads and Coolangatta Surf Life Saving Club
Two days after that first rescue, the Tweed Heads Surf and Life Saving Club 6 was formed. In 1911, the club was reformed to become the Tweed Heads and Coolangatta Surf Life Saving Club and has, since that time, operated patrols on Greenmount Beach.
The first club house, a humble timber building, was replaced in 1936 with a more elaborate pavilion. One end of the building was leased to the surf club. The current club house was built over and around the existing pavilion building in 1956 and has been altered over the years to accommodate the needs of the club. The club has always attracted large summer crowds and was particularly popular during the 1950s when the famous Hokey Pokey, hosted by Doug Roughton, was danced on the lawn by big crowds and Sunday concerts were the norm.